The holiday season is upon us! What makes this holiday so exciting and magical is the time we can spend together with family and friends as well as the experiences we share. Of course, the most anticipated day of the season is Christmas morning, but the night before Christmas is also one just as special! Christmas Eve is meant to be spent fireside with family, out exploring winter wonderlands, or attending services or events that truly help you get into the spirit of Christmas.
Not sure what to do with your family this Christmas Eve? Take a look at these Calgary Christmas Eve celebrations and find out where you can join in the holiday festivities!
Calgary Christmas Eve Events/Performances
Looking for something festive to do that will really bring on those cozy Christmas feelings? Spend the day before Christmas partaking in the many unique and festive events (both indoor and outdoor) that can be found throughout the city. Check out the performances, light displays, and Santa meet-and-greets that you and your family can do in Calgary on Christmas Eve!
- Time: 7:30pm
- Location: Arts Common, Max Bell Theatre, 220 9th Ave SE
Celebrate Calgary Christmas Eve by enjoying the wonderful presentation of one of the most beloved holiday stories: A Christmas Carol! Presented by Theatre Calgary at the Max Bell Theatre, you and your family can watch the ghosts of Christmas past, present, and future show what the true meaning of Christmas is to Ebenezer Scrooge, played by the talented Stephen Hair. The performance is 2 hours long, and tickets can be purchased online.
- Time: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
- Location: 18011 Spruce Meadows Way SW
What could be more magical than getting out of the city and adoring the sights of thousands of colourful Christmas lights? This Christmas Eve, take a stroll or drive through the grounds of Spruce Meadows and witness over 90 kilometers of lights and over 305,000 bulbs! Stop by for a pastry and warm drink at Founders Plaza after the light displays between 5:00pm and 9:00pm.
- Time: 2:00pm - 6:00pm
- Location: Nutrien Western Event Centre Stampede Trail SE
If the snowy and cold outdoors isn't for you, then you will not want to miss out on the extravagant indoor Christmas display and market at the Noël Christmas Festival held at the Nutrien Western Event Centre. Here you can listen to live Christmas music, take in the sight of millions of Christmas lights, and even say hi to Santa before his big day! There will also be Christmas market shopping available for those late last-minute shoppers!
- Time: 11:00am - 4:00pm
- Location: 707 13th Avenue SW
Looking for Christmas décor inspiration and a chance to dine and relax in one of the most memorable settings in Calgary? The Lougheed House is proud to present their Christmas event once again. Visit the historic house to see the beautifully decorated rooms, designed by some of Calgary's top interior designers. You will be sure to come away with the feelings of Christmas and a head full of ideas!
- Time: 1:00pm
- Location: Southern Alberta Jubilee Auditorium — 1415 14th Avenue NW
Sugar plums, a mouse king, and a nutcracker too! The Alberta Ballet is excited to announce another year of presenting The Nutcracker! This holiday tradition is one that can be enjoyed by the whole family. The event will feature a live orchestra, over 120 dancers, a strikingly crafted stage as well as dazzling costumes. Hurry and grab your Christmas Eve tickets before they are gone! Tickets can be purchased on Ticketmaster.ca.
- Time: 10:00am - 7:00pm
- Location: Southcentre Mall — 100 Anderson Road SE
Looking for a sweet treat right before Christmas? Or perhaps you forgot to make that batch of cookies to leave out for Santa? The Cookie Kitchen is a family event where the kids can show off their artistic abilities while they decorate all sorts of delicious cookies! All cookies purchased (by donation) will go towards supporting the Calgary's Meal on Wheels organization.
- Time: 10:00am - 4:00pm
- Location: 433 Marlborough Way NE
Missed your chance to tell Santa what you want for Christmas? There is still time! This Christmas Eve, head down to Marlborough Mall for a chance to visit Santa Claus himself, and get photos too! This event will be located within the mall at "Santa Land" near the Family Park. Want to see the reindeer? Don't miss Santa feeding his reindeer from 2:00pm - 2:30pm!
Calgary Christmas Eve Candlelight Services
One of the most common ways to spend Christmas Eve is to attend one of the many candlelight services found throughout the city. These peaceful services are known for the feature event of lighting hundreds of candles while singing Christmas songs. Services often include a short Christmas message and allow guests time to reflect upon the year and all that you are thankful for. Take a look at these various locations that are holding Calgary Christmas Eve candlelight services.
- Time: 3:00pm, 4:30pm, or 6:30pm
- Location: 16 Bermuda Drive NW
- Time: 5:00pm - 6:30pm
- Location: 419 Northmount Drive NW
- Time: 7:00pm - 8:00pm
- Location: 3610 Sarcee Road SW
- Time: 6:00pm - 7:00pm
- Location: 1638 30th Avenue SW
- Time: 7:00pm - 8:00pm (6:30 carol singing with Foothills Brass Quintet)
- Location: 506 4th Street SW
- Time: 6:30pm (family service), 9:00pm (communion service)
- Location: 131 7th Avenue SW
- Time: 10:00pm - 11:00pm
- Location: 134 Scarboro Avenue SW
- Time: 8:30pm
- Location: 32242 Township Road 245
- Time: 3:00pm, 4:30pm
- Location: 91 Commercial Court
- Time: 8:00pm
- Location: 3303 Capitol Hill Crescent
Calgary Christmas Eve Services
Many hold the tradition of attending a local church's Christmas Eve service to celebrate the season. These services include the singing of hymns, Christmas songs, the presentation of a small production or sermon, all focusing on the "reason for the season." If you are looking to attend a Christmas Eve service this December, find the church near you that will be hosting an evening of community and Christmas celebration.
- Time: 7:00pm - 8:30pm
- Location: 1611 St. Andrew's Place NW
- Time: 1:00pm, 2:30pm, 4:00pm, 5:30pm, 7:00pm
- Location: Commons Church — 2404 Kensington Road NW
- Time: 11:00am, 1:00pm, 3:00pm, 5:00pm, 7:00pm
- Children's Ministry Experiences: 11:00am, 1:00pm, 3:00pm
- Special Needs Children's Ministry: 11:00am
- Location: 3900 2nd Street NE
- Time: 4:00pm - 5:00pm
- Location: Inglewood Community Hall 1740 24th Avenue SE
- Time: 5:00pm - 6:00pm
- Location: 7642 22nd Street SE
- Time: 10:00pm - 11:30pm
- Location: 77 Deerpoint Road SE
- Time: 12:00pm, 2:00pm, 4:00pm, 6:00pm, 8:00pm (Kids program will be available for the 12:00pm, 2:00pm, and 4:00pm services)
- Location: 12345 40 Street SE
- Time: 4:00pm, 6:00pm (Kids program will be available for all services)
- Location: 16520 24th Street SW
- Time: 7:00pm - 9:00pm
- Location: 903 75th Avenue SW
- Time: 10:00am
- Location: Cineplex Odeon Westhills Cinema — 165 Stewart Green SW
- Time: 6:00pm - 7:00pm (hot apple cider served at 5:30pm)
- Location: 3333 Richardson Way SW
Discover the Calgary Christmas Eve celebrations that will truly help you experience all that the holidays have to offer! Whether that is soaking in the Christmas lights, attending a church service, or lighting candles to make the entire building glow in warm peaceful light. Whatever your plans are for the day before Christmas, we hope that your holidays are merry and bright!
Justin Havre is the top producing REALTOR® with RE/MAX First, Canada's very first RE/MAX brokerage. Calgary real estate is his passion; Justin specializes in Southwest & Northwest Calgary homes for sale. He can be reached at 403.217.0003 or contacted through this site.