Everyone should feel safe when living in their own home, but there can sometimes be something very dangerous lurking in the walls or under the sink. Mold can be detrimental to the health of people living in a home if it goes unnoticed, so homeowners need to educate themselves in order to catch it before it can do any harm. It is also almost impossible to sell a home with a mold problem. Here are some of the signs of mold in a home that homeowners can look for and some of the health hazards it can cause if left to grow.
Where Does Mold Grow?
The problem with finding mold in a house is that it usually grows in places that aren’t highly visible. However, one thing that attracts mold like a magnet is standing water and other forms of moisture. If there are leaky water pipes, they could become a breeding ground for mold. Homeowners should check their pipes regularly to ensure there aren’t any leaks and reduce the risk of mold growth. This also goes for moist basements and crawlspaces. If a homeowner wants to remove moisture from their home, they can buy a dehumidifier and run it regularly.
What Does Mold Look Like?
Mold can be tricky to identify by sight because it can take on many different appearances that can appear just to be mundane messes. Some of the different appearances that mold can take on are:
If a homeowner sees what looks like dirt or a spill in an area that wouldn’t normally see dirt or spills, it could very well be mold in disguise, and the homeowner should keep an eye out. If the dirt returns after being cleaned, there’s a chance that it may be mold.
Mold can also take on a number of different colors aside from just the black people are used to seeing on old shower curtains. It can also be white, gray, brown, or even green so it’s possible that it can blend in with its surroundings and be difficult to spot.
What causes mold to appear
Condensation is the biggest reason why mold appears in our homes. Condensation is actually a natural reaction when the temperature of the surface is cooler than the temperature of the air. When the air touches the surface, a mist constructed from small drops of water appears on it. If left unattended, the condensation turns to mold over time. Leaky pipes, roof leaks and any general flooding in the house can also lead to mold growth, so regular property inspections are a must. High humidity is also a common problem that causes mold. Humidity is caused by various reasons – it may be specific for the region you live in, weather conditions can trigger it, as well as a damaged ventilation system, rainy periods and many others. The proper home ventilation is important when it comes to battling mold – make sure the ventilation system is working properly and is being tended to on a regular basis.
How Can Mold Affect Your Health?
Extended exposure to mold can be extremely dangerous due to the health risks it possesses, and it can be difficult to tell if someone is being affected because many of the early symptoms can mimic seasonal allergies. Some of the other symptoms and diseases caused by exposure to mold include:
- Coughing and sneezing
- Sore throat
- Eye and skin irritation
- Liver failure
- Immune deficiency
- Lung disease
If a homeowner suspects mold in their home or finds evidence of it, they need to have it taken care of as quickly as possible to prevent these sorts of health problems from affecting them.
What Can Be Done About Mold?
If a Cranston homeowner finds mold in their home, the first thing they should do is test it. Not all forms of mold are life-threatening, and it can take a lot of stress away if the homeowner can find out the type of mold in their home. Most hardware stores will carry a mold testing kit that can often be purchased for less than $20. After using the kit and determining if the home has mold and the type of mold it is, the homeowner can then call a professional who can work on removing the mold from the home.
Mold in a home is a threat that should always be taken seriously. Keeping these things in mind can help homeowners locate mold before it can grow out of control and get it removed before it can harm anyone in the home.
Justin Havre is the top producing REALTOR® with RE/MAX First, Canada's very first RE/MAX brokerage. Calgary real estate is his passion; Justin specializes in Southwest & Northwest Calgary homes for sale. He can be reached at 403.217.0003 or contacted through this site.